Thinking about moving?
Here are some tips to remember that will help in your next move!
- If you are able to move any time of the year, don’t wait until summer. The summer months are the “peak” moving season. Also, the first and last days of the month are extra busy.
- Specify the exact date you want to move and when it will be convenient for an agent to visually survey your household and prepare an estimate.
- Before the agent arrives, tour your house from attic to basement. Decide what to move and what to discard. Make sure you show the agent everything that is to be moved.
- If you plan to do the packing yourself, start collecting suitable containers and packing materials.
- Set goals and deadlines to ensure that all packing is completed by moving day.
- Don’t forget to notify the post office that you’ll be moving and what your new address will be. A temporary forwarding address may be necessary if you don’t have a permanent one by the time you move.
- If you are being relocated at your company’s request, find out what portion of your moving expenses the company will pay. If your company has a written moving policy, ask for a copy.
- Dispose of flammables such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, and aerosol cans. Drain fuel from your power mower and other machinery, and discard partly used cans of oil, paint, bleach, or any substance that may leak. Be sure the water is emptied from your steam iron.
- Obtain a written appraisal of antique items to verify the value. Avoid waxing or oiling wooden antiques (and fine wood furniture) before moving, because some products may soften the wood, making it vulnerable to imprinting from furniture pads.
- Unplug all television sets 24 hours in advance of a move, if possible, so that they will be at room temperature on moving day. Moving a TV set in which heat is still retained could cause internal damage.
For other questions on residential moving tips call us at (860) 415-4400 Or Contact Us online
Advice from Our Residential & Commercial Moving Team
Relocating your home or business can be a lot of work. There are many things to consider throughout the entire process to ensure it goes smoothly and efficiently. The best way to ensure a seamless transition is by hiring a moving company. At Capitol Relocation & Logistics, we can coordinate every aspect of your move, from packing to transport to storage and beyond. We can even help you assemble and disassemble furniture.
We also believe that proper pre-moving preparation can result in minimizing the stress and headaches come moving day and the unpacking process. That’s why we’ve provided several helpful tip sheets and checklists to help you with every step of the move.
“I was very impressed with the service. Everyone was very nice and helpful. I am very happy with Capitol Moving and Storage.”Kris
We've been moving homes and businesses for years and we're happy to share some tips. Check out our blog to learn more about how you can make your next move your best move.