When you move into a new home, you may feel overwhelmed with all of the different things that you need to do to get you and your family settled. Childproofing your home is one of the most important parts of making sure that your home is safe for your kids. You can childproof your new home on a budget. Here are six tips for ensuring that your home is safe without breaking the bank.
How to Childproof Your Home on a Shoestring Budget
- Limit the areas where your baby can go: Rather than spending the money to childproof your entire home all at once, focus on the rooms where your child will be most often. Generally, this is his/her nursery and the living area.
- Think before you buy: There are many gadgets that you can buy to childproof your home. Not all of them are necessary. Consider buying plugs for your electrical outlets and 1-2 gates that are adjustable and can be moved from room to room if needed to get more use out of them.
- Think about furniture placement: When you are thinking about how to set up your child’s room, consider placing the crib away from windows (so they cannot pull the cords for blinds) and away from any shelves that could be pulled onto your child.
- Childproof your cabinets: Preventing your child’s access to cleaning agents, medications and other poisonous chemicals is one of the most important ways to childproof your home. You can move these items to high cabinets or purchase baby safety locks for under $10 and can make securing all of your cabinets simple and easy.
- Cover sharp corners: You can purchase corner guards or foam pads to cover the various sharp corners from your local hardware store for just a few dollars. This will protect your kids from falling into these sharp corners.
- Remove small objects: Small objects around your home can be a choking hazard. Take time when you move into your new home to be sure that small objects are out of reach of your children. You can always wait to unpack these items or put them up high.
Trust Capitol Relocation & Logistics for your Next Move
Capitol Relocation & Logistics can help you prepare for your upcoming move and will ensure that all of the details surrounding your move are as seamless as possible. We will protect your belongings and our movers will provide you with professional, courteous service throughout the process. For a quote for your next move, call us today at (860) 415-4400.