Moving is widely considered one of the most stressful life events. It’s no surprise, really, when you think about the physical toll that a move can take combined with the emotional stress of leaving your old home, saying goodbye to your neighbors and adjusting to your new surroundings. So, if you are planning a move, it is important to remember to take care of yourself before, during and after the moving process. Here are some self-care tips to consider while moving:
- Take frequent breaks: It may feel like you have so many things to do (and pack) that you cannot possibly pause for a break, but in reality breaks make you more efficient and help you reset during long days of packing and physical work. Consider 15-30 minute breaks to check your phone, read a book, get your favorite coffee, or to take a walk and get some fresh air. Regular breaks will make the day go by faster and give you more energy to do the job in front of you.
- Stretch and exercise: Packing boxes requires a lot of lifting and bending that can be hard on your back, neck and legs. If you already exercise regularly, try to stay on your regular schedule, and consider stretching during packing breaks to keep your body loose.
- Make plans with friends: Leaving your old neighborhood can be difficult and you may even feel a sense of loss. If your move keeps you in the general area, go ahead and schedule time with friends from your old neighborhood so that you know that you have plans to keep in touch. If you are leaving the area, schedule some time to talk on the phone to stay connected.
- Pamper yourself: Schedule a massage or a pedicure to give yourself something to look forward to. Massage can help with soreness and tightness that you may feel from the physical work that you are doing and a pedicure can help those aching feet!
- Follow a schedule and make to-do lists: Having a to-do list for each day during the moving process can reduce your overall stress. Rather than spending time each morning scrambling to decide what to tackle, follow your list and check items off when complete. You will feel accomplished and will be efficient.
Partner with a Moving Company that can help Relieve your Stress
While no moving company can take all of the stress away from a move, Capitol Moving & Storage can make the process go smoothly and handle as much of the work for you as you are comfortable with. Our team has served the Connecticut and the western Massachusetts for more than sixty years. Our business model is based on honesty and a commitment to our customers. For more information or to speak with a member of our team about your upcoming move, call (860) 415-4400.