When you think about packing up for a move, whether it is local or across the country, you likely think about filling boxes with all of your belongings, your dishes, books, clothing, shoes and other personal items. One thing that many people do not think about ahead of time is the best way to move their plants from one home to another. You have spent many months caring for your plants, watering them and watching them grow in your garden and around your yard. Plants can be temperamental and the last thing that you want is to have them not survive your big move. Here are some tips to help you transport your house plants to your new home.
- Water your plants well before you move: Making sure that your plants are hydrated is very important to the health of any plant that you intend to move. The night before you plan to dig up your plant, you should soak your plant with water so that the roots of the plant has water to hold onto when moving it from one location to another.
- Trim excess foliage: Another way to give your plants the best chance to survive a move is to trim down any excess foliage before you dig it up. Trim away any unhealthy limbs or leaves so that your plant does not have to support the parts that it does not need.
- Look at the forecast: If you have any control over the timing of your move, keep in mind that your plants will do best if they are not moved in the heat of the summer. Extreme heat is hard on plants and their roots can be especially vulnerable.
- Uprooting: Try to protect the roots of your plants after you remove it from the ground. You can wrap the roots with a damp towel or sack, or put it in a planter with soil and water to keep it protected.
- Re-plant quickly: Dig up your plants at the last possible moment and try to re-plant them as quickly as possible to minimize the time that they are out of the ground. Make sure that you have an exact spot picked out for each and every plant that you plan to move before you dig any of them up.
Residential Moving Specialist
Capitol Relocation & Logistics has been helping individuals and families move for more than six decades. We pay special attention to providing top-notch customer service, and the highest quality moving and storage services for all of our customers. Our staff understands that moving is stressful and you likely have a long list of things to get done (like moving your plants) so we focus on helping you with all the tasks that we possibly can. We can help you with all aspects of your move and will make the process simple, safe, and efficient. Call us today at (860) 415-4400 for more information or a free quote.